The student news site of Governors State University

GSU Phoenix

GSU Phoenix

GSU Phoenix

GSU Center for Performing Arts: Shows to look forward to next season

CPA
The Center for Performing Arts

By Summer Kiswani, Phoenix staff writer

The spring season for Center for Performing Arts (CPA) may be over, but there are more shows to look forward to later this year in the new season for 2024-2025.

Following the Center Musical Theatre Camp for kids and performance workshop for teens this summer, shows for general audiences kick off in September. 

The season launches with “Boom X” on Friday, Sept. 13, at 7:30 p.m. for $20-65 general admission. This show is going to be dedicated to the music, politics, and culture of Generation X. It will be a solo performance where the actor will portray over 100 characters from historical events from 1969 to 1995. 

Next up is “Queens of Rock and Soul,” presented by The Rock & Soul Band on Sunday, Oct. 6, at 4 p.m. for $50 admission. The concert will be dedicated to famous women who have shaped rock and soul music, such as Tina Turner, Aretha Franklin, Stevie Nicks, and more. 

Another one to look forward to is “Sweeny Todd in Concert.” This will take place on Saturday, Oct. 19, at 7:30 p.m. for $45-90 admission. The Illinois Philharmonic Orchestra will be in partnership with Kokandy Productions to perform the amazing work of Stephen Sondheim. 

A highly anticipated one will be “The Rocky Horror Picture Show.” This will be coming to GSU on Friday, Oct. 25, at 7:30 p.m. for $25 admission. Based on the well-known cult film, this will tell the story of a young couple who find a castle with aliens and a mad scientist. This will be the perfect show to attend around Halloween! 

“The Beat Goes On” will feature Lisa McClowry as Cher on Saturday, Nov. 2, at 7:30 p.m. for $45-$90 admission. Check it out to see the performance of Cher’s biggest hits. 

“Re-Writing the Declaration” will be a production put on by GovState Theatre and Performance Studies. This will be presented on Friday and Saturday, Nov. 1 and 2, at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday, Nov. 3, at 2 p.m. for $15 admission. This will tell the story of young Black women and non-binary people of color who take a trip to 1776 when the Declaration of Independence was written. 

A couple of Christmas-themed productions will take place this December. Starting with a classic, “The Nutcracker,” by Ruth Page. This will come to the stage on Saturday, Nov. 23, at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., and Sunday, Nov. 24, at 2 p.m. for $20-65 admission. Another Christmas classic featured will be “It’s a Wonderful Life,” which will be a live radio play adaptation. This will take place on Friday, Dec. 6, at 7:30 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday, Dec. 7 and 8, at 2 p.m. for $35 admission.  

After the new year begins, the season will kick-off 2025 with “HARANA,” presented by a Chicago-based Filipino band called LÍRIKO. They will be coming to GSU on Sunday, Jan. 26, 2025, at 4 p.m. for $50 admission. They will play songs from a variety of genres, such as classical, musical theater, pop, jazz, and Filipino.  

The second show of the new year will be “Love Happens” by The Silhouettes. They will be taking the stage on Saturday, Feb. 8, 2025, at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. for $20-65 admission.The Silhouettes were Golden Buzzer winners on America’s Got Talent: The Champions in 2020. They will be putting on a family-friendly shadow dance story about all of the types of love in the world, just in time for Valentine’s Day. 

“DrumLine” will be performed next, which will be presented by the creators behind the movie Drumline. They will arrive at GSU on Saturday, Feb. 15, 2025, at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. for $45-90 admission. This musical team will be performing a soulful and upbeat style inspired by the Historically Black College and University (HBCU) marching band experience. 

February will end with a production presented by the GovState Dance Company called “DREAM.” They will perform on Friday, Feb. 28, 2025, at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday, March 1, 2025, at 2 p.m. for $15 admission. Witness the dances inspired by the reimagined American Dream and the power of imagination. 

“UPTOWN” will be a production put on by an all-man group called Uptown that celebrates motown and soul music. They will be performing on Saturday, March 8, 2025, at 7:30 p.m. for $45-90 admission. Check it out to see how this group integrates R&B with current hits today. 

Experience the magical show of “ARTRAGEOUS!” on Saturday, March 15 at 7:30 p.m. for $20-65 admission. Described as an electrifying art and music circus that will feature live art, rock, Blacklight, Artpunk wear, and more! 

A retro-themed production called “Rosie and The Rivets” will perform on Sunday, March 23, 2025, at 4 p.m. for $50 admission. This will feature a female-focused tribute to Rock and Roll icons from 1954 to 1964. 

Come see GovState Theatre and Performance Studies present “Dog Sees God,” taking place on Thursday, Friday, Saturday April 3, 4, 5, 2025, at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday, April 6, 2025, at 2 p.m. for $15 admission. This presentation will reimagine characters from a comic strip “Peanuts,” where they will discuss issues such as abuse, drugs, eating disorders, and more. 

Last but not least, “Mimosas and Melodies” presented by Operas Up Close will be on Sunday, May 11, 2025 at 4 p.m. for $50 admission. This will feature broadway, classical, and opera that will be a tribute to mothers. This will be the perfect evening out for Mother’s Day. 

Tickets for all of the shows are on sale now. So make sure to mark your calendars for these exciting shows ahead!