The student news site of Governors State University

GSU Phoenix

GSU Phoenix

GSU Phoenix

GSU Talent Show on tap for April 23

GSU talent show participants preparing for talent show rehearsal.

By Joseph Pfovine, Phoenix staff wrter

GSU hosts its talent show on Tuesday, April 23, at 7 p.m.

In preparation, rehearsals have been held every Thursday for the last month for all who were interested in participating.

Last Thursday, I watched the rehearsal. Delton Pierce, the assistant director for campus traditions and leadership, was in charge, and he had been working on since March. Initially, the rehearsals were held in his office. And clips of the rehearsals were posted to social media. The rehearsals moved into the neighboring space as they got closer to the performance day.

As each participant practiced their act, the performance was timed. The goal was to get each performance to around three minutes. Some went over; some went under that time.

Pierce would then give advice about how each person person could enhance their performace or highlighting what adjustments that they could make to fit within the time goal. He coached each participant throughout the rehearsal to make sure that everything could go as somoothly as possible for the show date.

GSU student Marc Lewis rehearses.

The talent show performers included poets, rappers, and singers, all of whom respected each others craft by supporting each other by giving their constructive criticisms after each person performed.

By the end of this rehearsal, it showed me that there’s nothing wrong with a little friendly competition to end off the semester.