The student news site of Governors State University

GSU Phoenix

GSU Phoenix

GSU Phoenix

Valentines Day Social proves the holiday is not just for couples

By Joseph Provine, Phoenix staff writer

As most Governor’s State University students know, the Jaguar life comes with tons of fresh new experiences each day.

Well, Wednesday Feb. 14, was no different as GSU hosted its Valentines Day Social Event.

I know that some students may be thinking: “Well I’m single, so why I should I care?” Or, “That’s just for those people who are hopeless romantics fantasizing over a love they may not ever find.”

Here’s the thing, it wasn’t. While I was attending a meeting on the campus balcony, I heard a great noise of what sounded like falling bricks, perhaps a construction accident. When I checked it was only the clatter from gigantic Jenga pieces falling as the participants of the event were playing with them.

When I went down stairs, I saw faculty members and students alike engaging in games, snacks, and most importantly….FUN. Numerous students were playing games, getting free popcorn, and engaging competitively with one another in a healthy way.

When I interviewed some of the volunteers, I learned that this event was organized to bring GSU students together, and not just those who had Valentine’s Day dates.

Delton Pierce, the assistant director for campus traditions and leadership, was in charge of orchestrating the event. He said the event was also a platform to help launch GSU’s new Instagram account: @govstjaguars_connect, where students could receive a free teddy bear if they would just follow the account and give it a shoutout.

“If you wanted to approach Valentine’s Day from a fun perspective and meeting new friends, we have that,” Pierce said, “but also we have something that is more self-focused/couples-focused for whoever wanted to participate in some of our activities.”

I feel that it is safe to say that this event was fun-filled, friendship building, and refreshing. Being inspired mainly by brotherly love instead of a romantic love, it provided something for everyone whether in a relationship or not.