The student news site of Governors State University

GSU Phoenix

GSU Phoenix

GSU Phoenix

GSU celebrates National Arab American Heritage Month

By Chris Weber, Phoenix staff writer

Community members are invited to join GovState in celebrating National Arab American Heritage Month this April.

Arab Americans have significantly influenced American culture and academia. The GSU community acknowledges and appreciates these crucial contributions to the nation’s history and societal makeup.

Events on campus are planned for Thursday, April 25, at Sherman Hall. The day is designed to enhance understanding of cultural diversity and support the university’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) priorities.

The Arab American Fine Arts Festival, a unique celebration of creativity and diversity, will take place from 1 – 2:30 p.m. It will showcase a vibrant collection of student and employee art, including paintings, sculptures, and performances spanning dance, music, poetry, storytelling, and spoken word. The deadline for participants to submit their entries is April 15.

From 4 to 8 p.m., the university will observe the World Day of Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development. This year’s theme is “Humanitarian Crisis,” and will feature a screening of the film 1948 Creation and Catastrophe. The film provides poignant personal accounts from both Palestinians and Israelis. A panel discussion aimed at fostering cross-cultural dialogue will follow the screening.

For more information or to participate in these events, please visit the GSU DEI webpage to submit an entry for the festival or to reserve a ticket for the film screening.