The student news site of Governors State University

GSU Phoenix

GSU Phoenix

GSU Phoenix

Chicago Southland International Film Festival: A weekend of memorable films

Chicago+Southland+International+Film+Festival+
CSIFF
Chicago Southland International Film Festival

By Summer Kiswani, Phoenix staff writer

The sixth annual Chicago Southland International Film Festival (CSIFF) took place this past weekend from April 4 to 6. The three-day event, led by Co-Founders Joshua E. Young and Suzanne E. Patterson, showcased a wonderful selection of films. With a wide variety of genres, it was enjoyable for all audiences. There was comedy, drama, romance, horror, sci-fi, and more. 

The event featured work from a range of filmmakers (high school, college, and professional), all of whom are very talented. It was quite a weekend for movie lovers with many memorable films, Q&A with several of the filmmakers, and an award ceremony. 

The first day of the fest kicked off on Thursday evening with a cocktail reception, which gave everyone a chance to meet and talk before the show. The opening night featured Short Film Program 1 and feature film Provo

Short Film Program 1 consisted of five short films, mostly under the categories of heartfelt and drama. The one that stood out the most in this set was One for My Baby, which was one of my personal favorites. This short film told a touching story of a young love once full of promises that fell apart. This was based on a true story, as director and writer Shiloh Tumo Washington shared during a Q&A. It was inspired by his mother’s experience with his father, and how she raised him as a single mother. the film was told in such a beautiful and poetic way, referencing the memories and promises shared between the couple from the beginning of the story again at the end after its demise. This one deserves a full 10/10. 

The first feature film of the weekend titled Provo was a good time full of many laughs from the audience. It featured a self destructive young woman who was an ex-mormon with a distant relationship from her very religious family. She ended up going on a road trip with her friends-with-benefits who convinced her to see her dying father in Provo. It took viewers for a ride as the young woman confronted her past, and evolved as a person along the way. Emma Thatcher, the director, writer, and starring actress of the film, joined for a Q&A following the screening with one of her producers. She shared how this was inspired by her being an ex-mormon in real life. I would give this one a 9/10. 

Friday’s second day of the festival started with Short Film Program 2. This program featured seven short films that were filled with mostly horror, drama, and adventure. The suspense in these films kept audiences on the edge of their seat with the reveal of unexpected plot twists. 

The second feature film, titled Bike Vessel, was a big hit that night. This captivating, real life journey told the story of how Donnie Seals, a man in his late 60s, changed his life following three open-heart surgeries by becoming a bike rider. Cycling became his passion that helped him persevere through his health scares. This documentary took viewers on the road along with Donnie and his son Eric as they challenged themselves to ride their bikes from St. Louis to Chicago in just four days. This documentary touched on the important topics of developing a healthier diet/lifestyle and the history of African American oppression within the healthcare system. The close father and son bond was also a joy to watch in this film. This was a fan-favorite, and also earns a 10/10. 

The stars of the film, Donnie and Eric Seals, participated in a Q&A post screening. They shared how their goal with this film is to inspire others to find a passion, whether it’s cycling or something else. 

The final day of the fest on Saturday started off with Short Film Program 3, which was family friendly (12+). This set featured seven films, ranging from drama, micro-short, animated, documentary, and comedy. This set was not as impressive as the previous short film programs, and felt a bit slow. 

This was followed by Short Film Program 4, which consisted of six short films. The last one took the cake (literally). Ms. Rossi 2: Ms. Rossi Takes the Cake is an adult comedy that was filmed in Italy. This film featured a string of comedic misconceptions and scenarios revolving around the main character, Maria Rossi. This one had the audience laughing throughout, and I would give it a 10/10.

Director and writer of Ms. Rossi 2, Pat Battistini, participated in a Q&A after the screening. He shared his filming and writing process with the audience, and even revealed that Ms. Rossi 3 will soon be in the making.

Saving the best for last, Short Film Program 5 featured six short films that were the strongest set in my opinion. Specifically The Pencil, which was a horror masterpiece told with the inspiration from a cultural folklore. It told the story of a woman who discovered a mysterious pencil that made anything drawn with it come to life. What seemed like a useful tool at first ended up unleashing something terrifying. This easily could have been a full-length feature film, and had audiences wishing they could see more. Overall, this one was another 10/10. 

This was followed by a Q&A with the creators of four out of the six films. The creators shared their inspirations behind the films and answered questions from the audience. The festival then wrapped up with an award ceremony, where filmmakers and their projects were awarded and celebrated. 

The virtual fest is currently going on from April 7 to 14, so it’s not too late to stream these films if you missed the fest! The seventh annual CSIFF will take place next spring from April 3 to 5, 2025. So save the date and join next year for another round of great films!

View Comments (1)

Comments (1)

All GSU Phoenix Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• M

Mr.Joe BondoApr 9, 2024 at 5:33 pm

Excellent review of the weekend events!

Reply