The student news site of Governors State University

GSU Phoenix

GSU Phoenix

GSU Phoenix

New Jaguar sports team leaves no pin standing

GSU Womens Bowling Team (L-R): Katie Strache, Shayna Long, Taylor Ellison, Jillian Brinkmann, Samantha Mann
GSU Women’s Bowling Team (L-R): Katie Strache, Shayna Long, Taylor Ellison, Jillian Brinkmann, Samantha Mann

By Alijah Boyd, Phoenix staff writer

The 2023-24 Academic year at Governors’ State brings a new sports team in Women’s Bowling onto the plethora of sports teams that the university already hosts.

In April 2023, Athletic Director Tony Bates announced the addition of the Women’s Bowling Program for GSU to compete in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and the Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference (CCAC) starting in the 2023-24 academic year.

So far, Head Coach Melanie McDaniel has drafted five amazing athletes, two of them starting their collegiate careers here at Governor’s State. Coach McDaniel stated: “We are a young building team. We are hopeful for a successful season and make it to sectionals. The girls are very receptive to my coaching style and what my expectations are, and I really feel our future is bright for GSU Bowling!”

The team practices in Dyer, Indiana at Stardust Bowl 3, and the team will be on the road this coming weekend Oct. 7-8 in Milwaukee for the Midwest Collegiate Tournament and the following weekend Oct. 14-15 in Indianapolis for the Western Shootout in the Western Bowl.

Tryouts are available for any woman on campus with their own equipment, an open mind and a willingness to learn. Also some bowling experience is required.