Academics got you down? Find time to visit with Sandy

Nuha Abdessalam

Sandy the Therapy Dog in the GSU Library

GSU’s favorite furry, four-legged source of stress relief seems to be happy that students and faculty are back on campus after the restrictions brought on by COVID.

Sandy the Therapy Dog is a 10-year-old Black Mouth Cur mix who was adopted at just eight weeks old by Stephen Hyzny, GSU’s Senior Lecturer for Information and Technology. Sandy, who was adopted through PAWS Chicago and certified six years ago as a Therapy Dog, has wasted no time trotting through the halls of GSU and into the hearts of many on campus.

“As soon Sandy became certified, I brought her on campus during a break,” Hyzny said. “She got along with staff and faculty and has since been invited and welcomed.” 

Hyzny said Sandy’s favorite activities range from chasing squirrels to generating followers on hers Facebook page, Sandy Therapy Dog.

“Sandy’s favorite place on the campus is making a stop by the Registrar’s office,” Hyzny said, “They supply her favorite, Cheese-It crackers. (But) Sandy will always choose pets and attention first, and in recent years, she has even become more vocal for them.”

That she did, Sandy’s endless wag-tailing, incessant kissing, and soft whining for pets and snuggles made even this reporter forget she was working. 

Along with Sandy’s weekly therapy visits for students and staff, programming through Prairie Place monthly, and visiting the Children’s Development Center, she guides students to and from their seats during Hyzny’s classes.

“She won’t be near me in my classes,” he said. “She will walk to the door greeting students to their seats and more often than not will sleep at the foot of their desks, being petted tirelessly.” 

As finals approach and deadlines persist in stacking, some feel-good pets and lovings from Sandy may be needed to survive this Fall term. Visit Sandy and her happy unlimited wagging tail at GSU’s Library on Mondays from 2 – 3:30 p.m. this semester.