GSU awarded monthly time slot on Homewood public access TV

Governors State University’s Center for Community Media has been awarded a monthly broadcast slot with Homewood Public Access television.  

Dr. Deborah James, director of CCM, confirmed that the center will produce the 30-minute program for Homewood Public Access – Comcast Channel 19. The inaugural program will air in May. 

Winning this time slot gives GSU students a platform for sharing and creating content as well as first-hand experience in pre-production work and production.  

“It’s exciting because it’s an amazing platform for our students in creating content,” said Dr. James. “It’s going to be challenging, but we’re all pulling together at CCM, getting ready for all the technical responsibilities holding the slot with our professionalism. 

“It’s a huge honor being granted this time slot to public access television, and we look forward to continuing to uphold the values of public access television.” 

Dr. Jessica Scott, the faculty advisor for the program, said: “I’m excited for this opportunity. Students get the chance to showcase their talents and works. Students get the chance to get valuable experience and with Comcast opening this tremendous door, students get to earn TV credits and learn how to work with a team of people on a production set.”  

Homewood Public Access Chanel 19 coverage reaches many of Chicago’s South and Southwest  suburbs, from Alsip to Iroquois.