A Comedy Fest You Shouldn’t Have Missed

GSU’s Coming Back Funnier Comedy Fest featured comedians such as Wild n Out’s own Blair Christian, Katy Phillipson, Saku Yanagawa, and more. 

Doors opened at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 19, and little by little people came in prepared for a night full of laughter. 

Walking through the doors, patrons were greeted with booming music played by the DJ who brought an energy that prepped the audience for the night as the show kicked off. 

Blair Christian opened the evening and got the audience pumped with her charismatic personality, taking note of the very diverse lineup that was ahead and introducing the first comedian of the night, Saku Yanagawa. 

Saku opened by letting the crowd know he is the only Japanese professional comedian in the Midwest. Bringing his A game, he had the crowd laughing with his jokes about racism during corona virus and how hard it was for him to adjust to coming to America from Japan. 

Next was comedienne Katy Phillipson who started off a bit rocky with her jokes about school mascots, but eventually got the crowd going with her digs at men and theircat calling. 

She was followed by Ken Too Skinny Flores who had the audience roaring with his jokes about his mother not wanting to get the vaccine because she was afraid she’d turn into a zombie (which he proclaimed would be impossible because she already was an alien), and his digs at himself for being overweight and only going to the gym to sit in the car. 

Next was Khaleel, who was introduced as the one who helped put together the lineup. He pushed some buttons in the crowd as he made jokes about women and their fake eye lashes, but brought it all back together as he took digs at himself and his size of 5’6 and 140Ibs, talking of his dating experiences and how he couldn’t do normal relationship things such as hug his girlfriend from behind, comparing himself to a backpack. 

Calvin Evans closed the evening strongly, winning the crowd over with his jokes about playing as Liam Neeson in Taken when bill collectors call, raising questions on how Ray Charles fathered 12 children, and the need for “ugly” people in the world. He closed the night with a bang, playing the piano and having the audience sing along to familiar melodies.  

“The comedy show came about as a result of student interest to have an on-campus event where they can come and have a good time during homecoming week, and just hang out with their friends and laugh,” said Konya Sledge, GSU’s assistant director of Campus Programming and Traditions and Student Engagement and organizer of the event.