GSU’s Resources for Remote Learning

Remote learning has dominated educational systems across the country. From early childhood to higher education, the academic community has been sent into an online format. While it is unclear of how long these educational formats will be in place, universities across the country are forced to adjust in a way like never before. While most class interactions have been pushed online, many students may be struggling to find resources to navigate the during this time. For example, many students do not have access to the broadband internet that is sometimes required for these courses. According to the Federal Communication Commission (FCC), 97% of Americans have access to high-speed internet, however in rural areas, that number drops to 65%Nearly 30 million Americans do not have access to those broadband speeds. Governors State University, being in a rural area, is included in that statistic. Governors State University has a few resources for students during this time:  

Drive-Up Hotspot: Dealing with slow internet speeds? GSU has made it easy in sharing an interactive online map that allows you to find hotspot internet near you during the COVID-19 pandemic. Find it here 

GSU Writing Center: Having a writing block? The university has writing consultants available to review student papers and meet their needs. To access their site for additional resources, click here 

Tutoring CenterJust not understanding that subject? The tutoring center tutors in subjects such as math, science, and business all available by appointment. For assistance, click here. 

Career Services: Need help with career advancement? The Office of Career Services works with students remotely, including resume critiques. For appointments contact [email protected] or call 708-235-3974 

Counseling and Wellness Center: Need to talk or need access to health essentials? Schedule an appointment with the center viphone at 708-235-7334 or learn more by visiting their website 

CARES ACTNeed financial assistanceGSU has received funds under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act for students. Click here 

For any additional resources, please check govst.edu/COVID-19-students