The student news site of Governors State University

GSU Phoenix

GSU Phoenix

GSU Phoenix

GovState students share their thoughts about graduation

Phoenix Staff Writer

As the Spring 2024 semester comes to a close, the Phoenix asked a few students getting ready to graduate from Governors State University on May 18, what graduation means to them, their excitement over graduation, and their future plans.

“I am excited about graduating from Governors State University because I have achieved a dream of mine by graduating with my bachelors. During my college career, I faced different life circumstances where I needed to take time off and return part-time, but I never gave up. The people and professionals I met during this journey were so rewarding, and I would not have been able to do it without those who cared about helping me. It means the world to me to show my son that I earned this degree because I can give him and myself a better life. My plans for the future are uncertain, but I hope that with this degree I can create a stable life.” – Megan Sullivan, Communication BA

“I’m excited about graduating from Gov State and look forward to working in the field of broadcasting. Preparing to be one of the best broadcasters is important because I will always remember where I come from and how Gov State sets the standard of excellence for its students, faculty and staff. Dedicated and determined is the script I follow along with being a GSU Jaguar with fresh ideas and new beginnings. I’m looking forward to working at a news or radio station after graduation.” – Tamara LeMay, Media Studies BA

“It’s been a long road to get to this point, so I’m excited to graduate and soon be closing the chapter of school in my life. Twenty-four is my lucky number, so to be graduating from GSU in the year 2024 at 24 years old feels right. It’s going to be bittersweet to leave GSU, but I’m looking forward to seeing where life takes me. After I graduate with my Master’s in English, my goal is to become a writer and a copy editor. I also have a passion for writing poetry, so it is a dream of mine to publish a poetry book someday.” – Summer Kiswani, English MA

“My two years at GSU have been very rewarding. From the moment I stepped on campus, I knew that this institution was a community that looked to make a difference and lead the next generation to success. Its professors and programs allowed me to get out of my comfort zone and gain invaluable experience in radio and television. I will forever be grateful for the countless opportunities and relationships I have created. Receiving a bachelor’s degree in media studies is something that I dreamed of achieving and through hard work, I have accomplished it.

Graduating from Governors State is bittersweet, for the past two years I have made countless memories and been a part of GSU’s Student media in many ways. I am extremely proud to see how far our media department has grown and I am excited to see where it goes in the future. Although I may be graduating this year, I will forever be a Jaguar and will continue to support my peers. 

Upon graduation, I will be interning as a video producer for the Windy City Thunderbolts, a professional minor league baseball team in the Frontier League. My ultimate goal is to use my Media Studies Bachelor’s Degree, to produce meaningful media surrounding sports and I believe this internship will set me on a path to success. “ – Jason Gonzalez, Media Studies BA

Governors State University Commencement is on May 18, at Tinley Park Convention Center in Tinley Park, IL. Students in the College of Arts & Sciences and the College of Business are part of the morning ceremony and the College of Education and Human Development and College of Health and Human Services are part of the afternoon ceremony. Doctoral hooding will take place in the College of Performing Arts stage on Thursday May 16. For more on commencement go to: https://www.govst.edu/commencement/