GSU senior dies in auto crash

Photo Credit: CCM’s former producer Claude T. Martinez

Chasatte Simeon died on Wednesday, Nov. 16, in a vehicular accident in Chicago.

Simeon, a GSU senior and political science major, was a very active and involved student, friend, and community member. Simeon joined the GSU community as a freshman in 2019. She was an engaged student, a Center for Junior Year peer mentor, and a member of the GSU dance company. 

Simeon was minoring in criminal justice, one of her many passions. Finding Simeon on campus was typical; this past March, she attended GSU’s Center for Performing Art’s Red Summer preview. Simeon participated among community members giving their impressions of the preview with Center for Community Media’s (CCM) GSUTV productions half-hour program on Homewood Public Access – Comcast Channel 19.

“The Red Summer preview show’s the socialization and the segregation during 1919, and it is a visual and understanding of just how society operated, what policies were in place, and how social and ethnic backgrounds separated people.” Simeon said, “And it makes you think about where history was and where we are today. It’s important knowledge for us to share.”

In addition to attending school events, Simeon’s passion for dance was expressed through GSU’s Dance team, and her love for dancing carried to off-site studios, such as Indie Media Studios. 

Simeon’s embrace as a GSU student and community member continues to carry optimism, growth, and change; as quoted at the Red Summer preview, Simeon said, “Sometimes we have this idea that stepping up and doing something totally different from what we consider is normal, is a bad thing, it isn’t; always be optimistic to learn and experience new things, and you ultimately make connections happen by speaking with other people outside of what normal has always been for you.” 

Services have been made public on behalf of Chasatte Simeon as

• Friday, Nov. 25 : Viewing: 4 – 6 p.m- located at Calahan Funeral Home: 7030 S. Halsted St.Chicago, IL. https://www.calahanfuneralhome.com/
  • Saturday, Nov. 26 : Visitation: 10 – 11 a.m.
  • Funeral Service: 11 a.m.- located at Original Holy Ark Church, 5338 S. Morgan St. Chicago, IL.

For students, staff, and faculty seeking counseling, please visit and contact GSU’s Counseling and Wellness Center.