Keeping Up with the Office of International Services

Diversity is at the core of GSU, therefore it comes to no surprise that the Office of International Services has been providing an excellent example over the past 50 years, with this year in particular, showing some much needed growth.  

Amy Soub reported, “We welcomed over 30 new international students this Fall and are planning for a sustainable growth each semester.” She stated that the Office of International Services main is goal is, “We hope to reach one hundred study abroad students by the end of this academic year.” 

When asked about upcoming opportunities, Soub responded, “We have 10 faculty-led programs planned and there are always opportunities outside of GSU to do a summer, semester, or internship abroad.” Among upcoming opportunities for students are an Honors Seminar in Rome from May 19 to June 9 lead by Dr. Maristela Zell and Dr. David Rhea. An information session was held on Oct. 10. There also will be a study abroad opportunity titled “International School in Europe: Germany, France, Switzerland and Austria” with travel dates from June 27 to July 6 lead by Dr. Natalia Ermasova and Dr. Mustafa Karakaplan. Ainformation session will be held Nov14 at 2 p.m. in Engbretson Hall. Applications for both programs are due Dec. 1. 

While studying abroad offerings are impressive, the most promising growth can be seen in the growing partnership between OIS and Career Services. The partnership hopes to emphasize the importance of intercultural experiences such as study abroad and international relationships in the workplace. The partnership allowed Dr. West to discuss the impact the trans-Atlantic slave trade had on mass incarceration. Soub also mentioned working with a graduate assistant to “develop our International Student Alumni network this year as well” and perhaps giving current students valuable career advice. We at The Phoenix are looking forward to seeing what other opportunities arise with this partnership. 

Soub invites and encourages all students to participate in International Education Week starting Nov. 19. There will be a variety of international related activities as well as opportunities for international students to meet locals.