GSU welcomes students back to campus

GSU welcomes students back to campus

Categories:

By Chris Weber, Phoenix staff writer

Governors State University is preparing students for the fall semester with an engaging “Welcome Week” lineup. The week-long series of events aims to foster connections among new and returning students, faculty, and staff while raising the visibility of student organizations, and campus resources.

Beginning on Aug. 28, the university has orchestrated a list of activities designed to familiarize students with the GSU campus. The week includes informative sessions, networking opportunities, and interactive events. View the schedule below:

Monday, 8/28:

Welcome Back! CSEIP Open House (Jaguar Den, A2140, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.): The Center for Student Engagement & Intercultural Programs (CSEIP) invites students to explore extracurricular involvements beyond the classroom. Attendees can meet CSEIP staff, partake in complimentary lunch, engage in games, and have a chance to receive giveaways.

Get Money! Scholarship Opening Day (Hall of Governors, noon): Students can acquaint themselves with upcoming scholarship opportunities accessible to GSU students, offering vital financial assistance for their academic pursuits.

Are You Engaged? CSEIP Meet & Greet (Hall of Governors, 4 p.m. – 6 p.m.): Before their classes, students are welcome to enjoy refreshments and snacks while learning about upcoming campus events and avenues for student leadership roles from CSEIP staff.

Tuesday, 8/29:

GSU Barber & Beauty Shop (Center for Performing Arts, 12 p.m. – 3 p.m.): The GSU community can take advantage of complimentary haircuts and beauty services, provided by the John Amico Beauty College, during the initial week of classes.

International Mix & Mingle (Engbretson Hall, 1 p.m. – 3 p.m.): This event, open to both students and faculty at GSU, presents an opportunity to forge global friendships. Attendees can participate in icebreaker games, enjoy music, vie for prizes and eat food.

Find Your Focus at the GSU Library (GSU Library, 2 p.m.): GSU Library offers a guided tour, unveiling a range of resources to enhance learning and research. From quiet study spaces to a plethora of learning materials, students will discover tools fostering academic success.

Natural Hair Panel Discussion (Hall of Governors, 4 p.m.): An insightful panel discussion will spotlight the distinctive narratives of Black women and their journey with natural hair, shedding light on both positive and adverse experiences.

Wednesday, 8/30:

Psychology Club Trivia (Engbretson Hall, 1 p.m.): Enthusiasts of psychology can put their knowledge to the test, interact with Psychology Club leaders, and compete for prizes while claiming bragging rights.

Dual Degree Program (DDP) Back-2-School Social (Hall of Honors, 2:30 p.m.): An occasion for present DDP and GSU students to mingle, enjoy snacks between or after classes, and potentially win prizes.

Student Employment & Part-Time Job Fair (Hall of Governors, 2 p.m. – 4 p.m.): GSU departmental hiring managers will introduce students to opportunities for Federal Work Study and Regular Student Employment roles available on campus.

Thursday, 8/31:

Secretary of State Mobile Unit Services (Engbretson, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.): The Secretary of State’s Mobile Unit will be available, extending services such as driver’s license and state ID card renewals, vehicle sticker sales, and more.

Welcome Week Block Party & Greek Life Fair (‘D’ Main Entrance, 2 p.m. – 5 p.m.): The event offers a vibrant platform to connect with student leaders, engage with clubs, relish games, music, food truck offerings, and other attractions. Look for the Center for Community Media’s table to meet the Phoenix staff and learn about student media opportunities.

Greek Life 101 (Engbretson Hall, 6 p.m.): Students will delve into discussions spotlighting the significance of Greek Life and the advantages associated with participation in these organizations.

Chicago Southland International Film Festival’s Bingefest 2023 (F1622, 7 p.m.): An enjoyable evening awaits, featuring short film screenings from previous festivals, accompanied by pizza, popcorn, and sodas.

Friday, 9/1:

Jaguar Empire: Entrepreneurship Meet-Up (Engbretson Hall, 12 p.m. – 2 p.m.): Entrepreneurs within GSU’s community can engage in a panel discussion geared towards expanding businesses and launching innovative ideas.

Food for Thought: Your GSU Food Pantry (A1115, 3 p.m. – 4 p.m.): The GSU Food Pantry is open and ready to help students in need. Stop by and see what this resource has to offer.

Welcome Back Bash (E Lounge, 10 p.m. – 2 a.m.): The week culminates with a celebratory bash, providing an opportunity for students to unwind and commemorate their first week of classes. DJ Swerve will play the beats. Students can attend this party for free. Guests are welcome for a $10 cover charge.

For more info, refer to the GSU website.