The Office of New Student Programs Is Still Hiring!

“Are you friendly? Energetic? Looking to improve yourself and boost your resume? Then New Student Programs wants you!”

The New Student Programs are still in search to hire Orientation Leaders with their applications due on Friday, March 5th. These Orientation Leaders significantly help incoming freshmen, transfer students, graduate students and their families adjust to the lifestyles they must maintain in order to be successful university students. They also play important roles in the Advising and Orientation program. Orientation Leaders or OL’s for short, provide information about GSU’s campus from a student’s perspective and therefore can enhance the student experience completely. And along with their final informational session on Monday, March 1st, they are adding another session Thursday, February 25th 5pm via Zoom.

Qualifications:

• Have completed at least 1 semester as an enrolled student at GSU
  • Minimum 2.5 GPA
  • Exhibit enthusiasm, integrity, and a positive attitude
  • Enjoy working collaboratively with others
  • Professionalism when working with students, faculty, and staff
  • Strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
  • Understanding of concerns and issues faced by students
  • Familiarity with campus resources and ability to refer students, when appropriate
  • Understanding and appreciation of diversity relating to students from a variety of backgrounds and abilities
  • Ability to handle confidential student files and information
  • Excellent time management, self-management, and organizational skills
  • If working off-campus, be scheduled for no more than 15 hours per week during orientation season
  • Must have basic access to the internet
  • Must have basic understanding of technology or be able to learn about technology

Responsibilities:

• Attend all scheduled training sessions before and during orientation season
  • Work during all orientations
  • Must be able to commit to 20-25 hours per week during the orientation season (May-August)
  • Facilitate transitional programs, workshops and activities for first year students, transfer/graduate students, and their families, in person and/or online.
  • Portray GSU, its resources, agencies, services and campus life in a professional manner to new students and parents
  • Attend and participate in weekly OL team meetings, leadership development programs, and training programs
  • Participate in an online environment and be able to do so on a consistent basis.

Compensation/Benefits:

• Unique opportunity to welcome new GSU students and help them feel comfortable in a new environment
  • Biweekly stipend during orientation season
  • Development of transferable leadership skills (leadership, presentation, communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills)
  • Ability to work in a team setting
  • Personal confidence
  • Networking opportunities and resume building

All informational sessions will be held via Zoom. Here is the link for that meeting below.

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81961973777?pwd=a1VMTDVvaWlLNlVVa0U4L3dlcEpnUT09

After attending the session fill out an application with the following link.

https://forms.gle/vki7E9vfMVzpUAv99

The Office of New Student Programs can be found in B1215 Student Success Commons of Governors State University. Anyone interested can also call: 708-235-6819 or email [email protected]
Orientation Resources for First-Year Students http://www3.govst.edu/ROAR-orientation-2020/