Dr. Deborah E. Kanter Discusses Spanish and Global Studies Event

One of Governors State University’s missions is to globalize its campus and programming for its students and community.  

“This is our second event as part of our project which is making Spanish and global studies accessible to all,” said Dr. Jelena Radovic-Fanta., at the Spanish and Global Studies Speaker Series.  

The Spanish and Global Studies events was funded by the Department of Education’s two-year undergraduate International Studies and Foreign Language Grant received in late August. The funds will help organize global programing; such as developing global studies courses and opportunity to study abroad for next year and invite guest speakers.  Furthermore, Spanish and Global Studies are developing a language resource archive for GSU library, which will include videos books, languages learning programs for students and GSU community. 

Dr. Deborah E. Kanter is a professor of history at Albion College in Michigan, where she teaches U.S. Latino, Latin American, and immigration history.  “I have never been at Governors State, I actually have a family connection: My parents were the very first people to live in Park Forest when it was GI suburb, there is a plaque in the building that list my parents,” Dr. Kanter. 

“Hijos del Pueblo” Gender, Family, and Community in Rural Mexico,” is more of colonial style was Dr. Kanter’s first book and author of “Chicago Católico Making Catholic Parishes Mexican;” it’s a story of neighborhood change and renewal in Chicago’s Mexican American communities. Although this book is based on solid research, it’s a scholarly book that anyone can enjoy reading. 

Students who participated in the event will have a chance to win her book. Winners will be picked at random and announced via email on Friday October 30th. Dr. Kanter will contact the winners to arrange for mailing of the book. 

Dr. Kanter’s book is available at https://www.press.uillinois.edu/books/catalog/95tax2tf9780252042973.html or your local bookstore. 

On November 18 at 12PM, the Spanish and Global Studies will have another bilingual event, Voices of Fall bilingual poetry and prose reading, more details to come in student’s e-mail.