Keeping Up with Mental Health Wellness as We Come Back for the Fall Semester

Entrance to Governors State University’s Counseling and Wellness Center (Courtesy of medical staff Cassandra Brooks & Angelie Purifoy)

Everyone has been dealing with issues brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic: financial problems, fewer helpful resources, and especially the impact on mental health. It is imperative that not only students, but also others take a personal inventory and examine their mental health.  

As part of Governors State University’s core values of investing in student success, demonstrating inclusiveness and diversity, and promotion of quality of life, many people at GSU have been designated to help students maintain good mental health as they continue with their coursework.  

With the amount of work needed to support Governors State University’s mission, it is no surprise that numerous people are engaged in activities designed to help alleviate some of the effects of the pandemic. Some of those effects are anxiety, nervousness, and depression about finances, family care, hourly labor cuts and other circumstances out of an individual’s control. 

The Phoenix contacted the Counseling and Wellness Center at GSU to ask about what actions students and others can take or how they can make an appointment to talk to a counselor.  

First, any student can call 7082352114 for information on how to make an official appointment.  

Sabrina Roseborough, the office manager of the Counseling and Wellness Center facilitates making appointments to see the counselors. She told The Phoenix that the Center is there to advocate for the students and that all students should feel free to reach out. 

The counseling office hours are Monday through Friday 9am-5pm, and Sabrina can be reached at 708-235-7334 by phone and [email protected] by email.  

Roseborough said that those outside of the student body should take advantage of the Counseling Lab that is open to community members. The Lab’s phone number is 708-534-4545. 

She said that there are two 24-hour crisis lines available to anyone who needs urgent assistance:  708-429-7255 or 815-744-5280.